Monday, May 16, 2005

Paleo

I read this National Geographic story a few days ago. This scientist attempted a trek in that he would walk over an ancient range, which still remains somewhat like it did in the Paleolithic Era in terms of floral and fauna. He quickly discovered, probably like Paleo people knew, that much of the stuff he carried with him at first, was useless. It came down to all he needed was a pair of shorts and some flimsy sandals. The shorts would have been gone too, but Nat'l Geographic is a "family show" so they remained on (at least for the photographs). The man lived off the land, walked maybe 20 to 30 miles a day, and as he got fit, lost the Neolithic Beer Gut. Of course this was in the jungle and in the mountains. Maybe he'll try other treks where he will have to figure out what kind of stuff he will need, and if he can make it out what's available. It might be nice to have some other volunteers with him. Hunting Elk with a sharp stick by yourself would be pretty tough.

Sasabe Store Posted by Hello


My hope is that the sleeping DNA inside me will wake up, flex, and help me through the 600 K Brevet that I've planned to do in Colorado in June. Many of you know that I was really wanting to do the whole Randonnee Series--be one of the first to finish Arizona's first ever Brevet Series, and earn the distinction of "Super Randonneur" but instead I earned the dreaded DNF (did not finish). I might have made a few tactical errors but probably what happened is that I got dehydrated--because I got the runs. Not good on a bike ride. So I ended up riding 240 miles of the 380 mile ride.

My whole philosophy here is that I am in fact genetically disposed, as we all are, to endure 380 miles of none-stop bike riding. Those chromosomes are there and I can feel them getting edgy and restless. Now I've got to do the rest--get on the bike and ride.

Yours

No comments: