Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Windy Ride Home


We closed down the office at 3, so I took my time knowing I'd have lots of time to relax, eat something, and take Callie out for her cardio workout at the park, mes amis.

So I conserved energy and found a nice speed to get home, and tried not to think of the wind as my enemy so much. It was 100 degrees, but a steady headwind kept me cool. I also ate a Cliff Bar before I left, and had one for the half-way point as a boost to get me home. I also had salt tablets and endurolites--and of course plenty of water. So when I got home I wasn't so beat up.

I did have to stop and get water at Thornydale and Cortaro Farms before my desert crossing back up to Dove Mtn.

I take an old Jeep road, Camino de Oeste, which translates from the Spanish as Easterly Way or Easterly Road (funny it runs North and South) through the desert for about four miles. Open desert on the East side is now very swank yuppie homes, called Sky Ranch. The lots start at $475,000--just for the lot and not even a house, mes amis! And the houses are all packed together "Buttcheek-to-buttcheek" and it is a dirty rotten shame. Beautiful desert bladed to put up ticky-tacky. And the shacks aren't even that big--and they're gross... I suppose one could step outside of their casa, on a hot desert morning, look to the Mountains, and see his or her neighbor flossing thier teeth next door thru the window. I'd pay $400,000 to see that, yep! I mean the houses are so close you'd be able to her the neighbor's offsprings' pet gerbils fart the walls are so thin! I suppose I'm digressing quite quickly...

Well, rather than take what's left of the jeep road (can't ride too fast because of sandy spots) I cut into the development to find a short-cut to Tangerine. Well it was not to be and I was soon lost in the maze of the homes. I found a way out thru the large open gates of the community--which don't seem to be activated yet--when they are, they will be some of the largest gates of a gated community I've every seen! It was just eerie because there are a few hundred homes in various stages of being built, and people don't live there yet...

Soon I was home. I had ridden 25 miles. Just under two hours-- What a great day!
Took a shower, ate, slept for 30 minutes, and then Callie got me up to go to the park.

Allure Libre!

1 comment:

Stefan Walz said...

"Beautiful desert bladed to put up ticky-tacky."

Sounds a bit like Dove Mountain.

Boot to the head.