Friday, May 01, 2009

Week on the Bike


This last week, I road in four out of five days--120 miles commuting. I believe in this shot I'm heading home Monday or Tuesday evening on the bike path. I haven't taken the bike path in quite some time. It still takes me about 50 minutes to ride to the YMCA from work the 15 or so miles.

Wednesday was a drive day and rest day. I brought in a change of clothes for Thursday and Friday. For the month of April I'm guessing I road about 350 miles.


At the bike locker in the morning.


This is heading West on Ina Rd, at the top of my climb. From here, its a very fast descent all the way to the YMCA. When I say fast, I going top speeds 30 MPH for five miles. I have to be very careful because just about every other day I'm on this road, someone will almost turn left in front of me.

During El Tour de Tucson, which is this road I'm on, a 91 year old man turned left in front of a fast group of cyclists--the racers were probably going at least 40 to 45 MPH. The road and bike lane are smooth and wide, and a peleton could reach that top speed in no time.

In my opinion, the police woman at this station should have stopped traffic. I have a friend that works at Westward Look, the resort where this crash happened, and he said that the police officer had come up to the restaurant to take a break, and left her post.

The 91 year old man got off Scott Free, while many of the cyclist were critically injured. The City of Tucson has kept that fact (the police woman not there) under wraps since. 91 years old or 21 years old--people still pull out in front of you. I just don't get it.


On my way home Thursday night. There were strong headwinds a few days this week as well.


This is the top of my climb in the morings. I descend down into the office at a nice clip.


I started riding one extra mile East because it gave me one more climb and the road going down has 99% less traffic. It gives me a chance to hammer and get up to about 40 MPH.

Cheers! Bruce

No comments: