Sunday, June 11, 2006

Claire's Cafe

I took the LeMond to Pima Street Bikes for an overhaul. In the mean time, I did some tinkering with my old Raliegh. My Dad bought it for me in 1977 or 1978, and only now have I appreciated what an awesome bike it is.

I switched out the Brooks saddle and the aero bars I had on the LeMond. I made a few minor adjustments, and I have to say the combination looks handsome, and the ride is oh so comfortable--especially in the bars. Check out the picture. This bike is cool, and rides sweet.



Early this morning I went for a 50 mile spin and ended up having breakfast at Clarie's cafe. As I sat down and got my first cup of coffee, Bev called me from Texas. She was at a cafe herself, alone--and asked me is Steve was there with me at Claires. No just by myself. She said she'd call back later. So in a way it was like we had breakfast together.

Today marks the first day in a long time I've had time to ride. Life has been pretty stressful--Bev tells me how much Texas sucks, and how much being in the Army sucks. They work six days a week with only Sunday off. Most of the soldiers go out Saturday night and get shit-faced.

Being in Afganistan dosen't worry her--its the pin heads in her Battalion. She said there's quite a difference between being trained and being educated. There's a lot of stupid people so you have to be on your toes all the time. The hard part for Bev is that the leadership could give a rat's ass about anything other than flying their helicoptors. She said most of the pilots are pretty full of themselves and when it comes to their assigned administrative duties, they just don't want to bother. So nothing is organized and nobody cares.

Coming home through Rancho Vistoso, I got in a pack of three young women and they were all riding strong and we were going at a good clip. As we started going up a long hill, they slowly pulled ahead and I got dropped. But that's okay because it was good to have some nice people to chat with and its cool to get in a tight pack and go fast.

Allure Libre!

No comments: