Monday, June 19, 2006

Meeting of the Giants

Steve arrived Friday night at my place--I returned from a dinner for College of Medicine Residents--at a swank golf resort in the foothills. I think I drank too much wine. When I got home I was exhausted. Steve showed up while I fumbled around trying to get everything ready. Alarm was set for 4am. I didn't even hear it--Steve had to wake me up. So our 4am ride ended up being a 6am ride.

The plan was to test my new commute route to TMC, and then cut down to the Hungry Fox for breakfast. After breakfast, the plan was to head out to Saguaro Nat'l Park, and ride on up to Colossal Cave time permitting. With the late start--we would modify our plans to avoid 107 degrees.

Ready to roll. I spent $250 bucks on the LeMond but didn't have time to put on the new saddle, so I'm riding the trusty Raleigh-- still a sweet bike.


Steve's magical new Italian shoes--too bad they didn't come with magical Italian cleats! We had to stop and adjust them all day. But Steve looked good and that's the important thing!


We start at the YMCA and ride up Ina to Swan. Here we are just at the top of Skyline and Swan. Ina turns into Skyline and is a pretty good climb. We rode up fast and strong--still was a good amount of traffic on Ina and then Skyline, even at 6:30 am on Saturday. That's what's making me a little nervous--Skyline is busy with tons of traffic. But now I know I'm fit enought to handle the climbing.


We've been climbing in the foothills, heading due East. Now we have several miles of a sweet downhill to the Hungry Fox for breakfast. We pass my office and the commute distance is about 15 miles, and we're ridden about 50 minutes.


Broadway and Swan at the Hungry Fox. Two years ago on Father's Day, an older fellow drove through the front lobby while attempting to park his car. The place was packed, but no one was hurt. The place was closed months for repairs--probably prolonging the life of all the artery-hardened patrons.

Even though I love to eat at this place, it must be done only rarely. The regulars are quite obese and sickly-looking. Everyone has a walker or an oxygen bottle. It will take riding both days this weekend to burn off the 300,000 calories I'm about to savor.


At the Con Tiki next door to Hungry Fox, I pay homage to Dios Tiki de Tucson.


Yet another Tiki God! A gouche--that is Steve a doit, mes amis!


Tiki Gods must move aside! Zoot alors! 'Tis Team Mooney--the Giants of Triathlon! This is BigBallsWalz, or as we like to address His Fitness--Satan Bo Jangels--President of Team Mooney.


Jesus Chris Mooney--known for saying, "Let There Be Team Mooney" and it was so. I explained to the Giants I was going to wear my Team Mooney jersey--but spilled vanillia-flavored soy milk on it while eating my Honey Nut Cheerios--damn...


Bo J, Le Steve, and Jesus Chris


Yours (out of uniform) Bo J, and Le Steve

Mooney and Stef were heading back home and we're on our way to Saguaro Nat'l Park. Kind of cool that we've been able to cut right thru the heart of the city--and soon be in Saguaro Nat'l Park.


Bo J and Le Steve... Meeting of Giants


On our way--

We made a quick stop at the Ramada, which is still open althought they're re-paving the scenic 9 mile drive in the Park. Here's Rincon Peak from the Country Store on Old Spanish Trail. Colossal Cave is maybe 10 miles from here--because its getting late (thanks to my sleeping in) Steve and I decide to head back. A few years ago I hiked up to Rincon Peak-- in one day-- on Stef's Birthday--it almost killed me--but I made it. So seeing the peak humbles me because I could have carried more water and been in better shape.


We'll take Freeman Road to Tanke Verde, and then take Tanke Verde to Pima. Part of this route will be my old commute route to UofA when I lived near Sabino Canyon. Freeman Road down to Tanke Verde is fast, and it keeps us out of traffic. As you can see from the photo, its a straight shot North.


I take Steve down Pima Ave. There's a lot less traffic on Pima and the 30 mph speed limit. We drop by Pima Street Bikes but Phil and Judy have customers so we don't stay long. Judy mentioned that I wasn't riding my LeMond that she and Phil just overhauled. As you know mes amis, I was too busy drinking wine the night before to put my new saddle on the LeMond! But I digress--from here on Pima I can look down to my office, right under the old 1927 water tower there, to Grant Ave and the TMC Campus...


Pima takes us down to UMC, and we pass by my old job. A few blocks West we'll ride North up Mountain Ave to the River Bike Path.


Probably the trickiest move is the left turn from La Cholla onto Ina. The YMCA is about two miles from that crossing. As you can see, traffic was heavy. As we were going through, the green arrow turned red by the time we got in the middle of the intersection--which meant it was green for about five seconds!


66 miles later. Swimming at the YMCA pool should be nice after a long day in the office.

Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Stefan Walz said...

The Gods have spoken:

LET THERE BE BIKES!
And there were bikes.

LET THERE BE TRAFFIC!
And there was traffic.

And on Sunday the Gods rested.