Sunday, October 02, 2005

Vaja con dios

Early this Sunday morning, after an hour of cardio/throwing the ball for the dog... I drove up to Casa Grande to meet Steve. We had breakfast at Cracker Barrel aka Crap in Barrel, and then we hooked up Steve's Schmit Hub to my LeMond--and it worked!

The hub is a dynamo in the wheel that when spins, creates power to run a head light. It is beautiful and simple, but an expensive piece of equipement. Its basically the Rolex of light systems. Steve has loaned it to me and the advantage is more mental than being able to see where I'm going. I just feel safer, Gentle Reader.

When the sun comes up, I remove the hub, which is built into a special wheel, and put back on my regular wheel.

I also have a set of wheels as backup, the plan being if I get a flat, it might be faster for my crew to pull up and switch out the wheel.

Vincent is an old guy that lurks in my library. He's old as dirt but a good fellow. He is a French, English, and American literture scholar--as well as a scholar of the Crusades and other Catholic Church debauchery. Years ago when he studied in Paris, he watched Le Tour de France. So he's always interested in my cycling exploits.

So I told him about the Cochise Classic coming up this weekend. "Vaja con dios" he said. "Go with God..."

Allure Libre!

No comments: