Sunday, October 23, 2005

Kitt Peak with Team Mooney


At the very last second, mes amis, I am able to ride with infamous Team Mooney. The Moonies are a bunch of local lads--many ex-rugby players, lawyers in love, med students, and good natured hooligans--like me. One of the most colorful members is club president, and my cohort at the office--Stef. Like the rest of these heroes, Stef is able to stay pretty fit and competitive while juggling work and family--plus all these guys are a riot! Its always a fun time.

Kitt Peak--a celebration of sorts for the Team. It was about two years ago everyone went to ride Kitt Peak, and the conditions that day were miserable--so I hear. It was so windy, cold, and just plain horrible, that after I heard all the stories, I even doubted I could make it up the Peak!

Since these fellows ride hard, I didn't stop to take photos while riding, so photos before and after will have to suffice--maybe a few pics from El Carbon! I'll borrow to add to the blog.


Pre-Kitt Peak--Stef makes waffels for the kids.


Waiting for Aarron to ride by, and we'll pick him up. Since this ride will be fairly short and not an all-day affair, the lure of the Peak is mezmorising. Stef is unaware of the no-parking sign...


But he really doesn't care about that--or much else!


El Carbon! and I have been friends for quite some time, but this is actually the first time we've ridden together. El Carbon! aka Jerry Poplin, got his road bike stolen when he loaned it to friends, and their house got robbed. The insurance company paid-out big time, and Jerry got one of the sweetest bikes in town; all carbon fiber and bling-bling--we were all jealous! Hence his famous handle El Carbon!

On the drive out to Kitt Peak, there's quite a few Snow Birds out for Sunday drives. So we're going along, and get stuck behind an old Geezer tootaling along with his head up his ass. I'm driving and Aaron and Anthony are riding along in 22X, and as I pull around to pass, some asshole in the on-coming traffic lane decides I have insulted his manhood--and he floors it and comes straight at us head-on. Of course I get around the old Geezer and get back in my lane--but the guy almost hit us head on. We were kind of wondering what the fuck was up with this guy? Stef and El Carbon! call Aaron on the cell to ask if we've wet our pants!


Anthony sans Mooney show-time jersey.


Stef and Aaron have a few laughs before we saddle up...


Aaron and El Carbon! at the base of Kitt Peak Road.

I have to say I had a pretty good ride up the Peak. This would be my second attempt, so I was able to relax and take in the cool mountain air. As I climbed it got cold but that made parts of the climbing where the sun shown on the road even better. The Sun felt good rather than cooking you as it normaly does--and like Stef and I were talking about later at his place, I was able to find the parts of the ride where I could push, and then recover.

As far as how much time it took compared to the first time--maybe I was a little faster. The first time I did the ride, it was about or just at 2 hours. This time it was a little less that two hours. The guys were good sports because I was the last one to the top and everyone waited for me.

I'll be able to get some more picks taken by El Carbon! and will insert later--so keep checking on the blog

No comments: