Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Count-down to Cochise

My rider number will be 22 for this course. I've also just seen the updated page of the registered riders. Dave Glasgow is 21, and there's one last rider 23. My hope is that I might find someone to ride with in this group of 23. I know Dave will ride stronger than ever and go for a personal best--and I hope him the best as well. Russ Goodwin may be crewing for him, so it will be good to see Russ because his positive energy is contagious. Its good to have friends and other crews to ride with. Maybe Dave will help me thru part of the course and talk me thru any rough spots. I know the first 20 miles or more will be cold and dark. There's also a chance for rain in the forcast.

My hope is that we don't have conditions for Cochise that we did for the infamous 300 K Brevet back in Febuary 2005. It was on Hell of a ride--Mike Alexa, Steve, Rich Combs, Susan France, and myself--all struggling to finish. Paul Layton was with us for a time too, but went on ahead as he didn't know we had more flats. My tire came apart on Oracle Rd, but luckily I knew there was a bike shop just down the road. I went into the bike shop and got a new tire, and tried desperately to catch-up as the Lads went on ahead. I was in luck because the 300 course went thru areas I knew--but the main thing was to get with the pack before it got dark. Everyone to this day says how surprised they were when I rolled up and joined them. I rode like a mad-man to close that gap.

What I'm getting at is that it was a long, wet, cold, and frustrating ride. To be avoided!

Anyway, taking some thoughts from Steve, he says just to ride my ride--relax--Allure Libre, which is French for feel free to ride how you want... Fast. Slow. By yourself. With hot babes--what ever! Gerry Goode mentioned to me about not coming un-glued if shit happens. He says he's seen people come apart when they've flatted a tire. Take time to change the tire, but make use of the time off the bike to stretch and recover or eat something.

It is good to know that Linda will be near with the car and all the stuff we need. But the catch is that there is the temptation to quit and get a ride back if things go wrong. I will have to fight that temptation if thing go wrong--which undoubtedly the will at some point. The thing is to finish at all costs and I believe I will because everyone knows I'll be out there--they're thinking of me--and wishing me all the best.

Allure Libre, mes amis!

No comments: