Thursday, May 11, 2006

Coopers Hawk


Yesterday I was leaving the office, and walked up on a Cooper's Hawk like the one in the photo I got from the web. I had heard that they were on the TMC Campus so it was very exciting for me to see this regal creature!

He was drinking from the irrigation system that was just starting to water the huge Euciliptus trees by the old student nurses living quarters--they are almost as tall as the old 1927 water tower here by the library.

I was only about 15 or 20 feet from him when he flew up onto a tree branch. He looked me over and I could see those reddish eyes peering at me. When I tried to move a bit closer he flew up into the trees so I couldn't see him. Many years ago TMC was a TB sanitorium, and trees and saguaros were planted to make the place feel peaceful and healing. When I can, I try to eat lunch at one of the different parks or "patios" thay still remain from the 1920s.

My ride home was good and I made good time to the car. Its getting hot so the River Path is deserted.

Owt.

No comments: