Thursday, May 18, 2006

Big Lizard slain on Glenn Ave

Last night as I just left the TMC campus, a large lizard decided to try and cross Glenn. He didn't make it because I accidentaly ran over him. He was one of the biggest lizards I've ever seen. I suppose that didn't make him any faster or smarter because what was he doing crossing the road at rush hour? I really didn't see him until it was too late--I couldn't stop because I had some soccer mom tailgating me. He made a pretty big thump--I looked back in my rear view, and I saw fresh roadkill. I also noticed that the empty gaze of the bitch tailgating me had not changed. That lizard--I was sad I ran him over.

My ride in was tough--the air is dry and dusty, and full of pollen. I just took it easy. The River Park is way under construction. It used to be old ranch land but condos and subdivisions are springing up all around. Even in the morning its hot and dusty.

These condos are about done... On the North side of River Rd there's a new subdivison--I used to see cows out there. Lots of dust and dirt from the construction is in the air...


This is Mountain Ave going South to UofA, and I'm going East on Glenn. Its about four more miles to TMC.

The old water tower built in 1927 comes into view a few miles out. My office is right underneath this famous TMC and Tucson landmark. They wanted to tear it down--which they eventually will--but people have told me its too expensive to demolish. TMC is in the business of making money--not spending it.


The wall in my office--to remind me to get out and train for the big rides!

After a long day in the office, I changed and started the ride home. A breeze felt nice to keep things cool, but only after a few miles, my throat was bone dry!

Going down Glenn is kind of cool and there's some pretty funky homes and neighborhoods. The people are not that affluent. Most of the houses could use some work, and the cars are old and beat up. It seems like its a tough neighborhood. That's when its weird when I'm at a stop sign or stop light on Glenn, and a new porshe or Lexus or Jeep or Hummer pulls up beside me. They're probably doctors and residents going home from TMC. Maybe they're drug dealers!

Back on Mountain Ave I rode with another cyclist, and we chatted as we headed down the River path. He had a pretty nice bike, but he was lamenting his very very very nice bike getting stolen out of his garage a few days before. He was at home and doing chores. As the sun was going down, he thought he better put the garage door down for the evening--Dang! The bike was gone! Bummer.

Owt

No comments: