Friday, September 09, 2005

Rattlesnake Ride

Did a good ride out to Saguaro Nat'l Park from Dave Glasgow's house.
We rode up Broadway to the park--Dave riding very fast--he blew thru a light and I just took it easy and did not want to chase after him. Traffic was light, and the sunrise was beautiful. Fall is around the corner, mes amis.


Leaving from Dave's house early Friday morning.


Up Broadway, then up Old Spanish Trail.


Other cyclists are out enjoying the cool desert morning.


I'm at the entrance to the Park. Oh yeah, my seasonal pass expired August--and the ride-in fee for bikes has gone up from $3.00 to $5.00--and the annual pass has gone up to $25.00 But that's okay.


The "Lephrechan" Mr. Dave Glasgow, chillin' at the Ramada in the Park. A personal best for him this morning. He flew up Broadway to the Park in like 49 minutes or less. I'm not sure the exact time... I'll edit later.


Ready to start some loops.

As we're on the loop, I see a nice fat rattlesnake making his way across the road. It won't be the last one I see today.

Anyway, I catch up with the "Wobblies" as they call themselves. A bunch of old farts who do laps to stay fit. Most of them are okay fellas, and they do one or two laps. But there are a few men, like Jim and Hal, who are hard-core cyclists in there late 70's. Make no mistake; they are fit and seasoned warriors.

Jim and Hal ready for another lap, and planning a hike in the Rincons, or a ride up Mt. Lemmon or Kitt Peak--heck, why not both after one more lap here in the Park!


The "Wobblies" chillin'

On lab two, hey! It's Robert.

Robert is riding strong as ever. I can't keep up with him...
We see another rattlesnake, and I think we see a king snake.
Robert heads out back home. Lator, Dude!

After lap 3, Dave and I meet Shelly. This lady Shelly has a $7,000.00 ride. Check it out.

She was telling us that she once rode 350 miles in one day--24hrs? Yeah? 24hrs--in Colorado even--mountains and junk!


Shelly had the bike, the clothes, but there was something else--

There are only three people I know who can ride that distance in that amount of time:
Russ Goodwin. He won Team RAAM in 2003.

A picture I took a few years ago of Russ training for RAAM. I crewed for him as he rode the John Farr Double Century course, twice, in 37 hours.

Of course, Mr. Gerry Goode, Randonneuring Legend, and Dave Glasgow--standing under the Ramada with Yours Truly...


My new Lance Armstrong Tour de France helmet Bev bought for me. The guy at the bike shop told me it had been wind tunnel tested and was way-aerodynamic. Also supposed to keep your head cooler, and give you longer- harder erections!

Ce'est un piece d'art, mes amis!

Well, time to roll back to Dave's house over by UofA. As we're leaving, we meet these really cool folks. I can't recall there names, sorry! But after Ms. 350 miles in 24 hrs, its nice to know that there are groovey cats like them to be found! Allure Libre!

Bon jour la bon jour!


She had a sweet hand-built bike from Rivendale, with the Dove tail style handle bars...


His recumbant bike. Oh--I messed up the pictuer! Sorry!

No Rattlesnakes were harmed in the writing of this flog-

Lator!

No comments: