Sunday, September 11, 2005

John Heller Rides Again

Dave calls and will be by my place in Marana, and we'll do a quick spin up to the Pichacho Peak Dairy Queen. I'm feeling the legs after Dave and I rode 56 miles Friday to Saguaro. The gams feel like tree trunks... I'm expecting Dave anytime, and then the cell rings--Its John Heller--cool. They're at I-10 and Tangerine, so I head off to meet them.

DoctorJohnHeller sez, "Can you feel the LUV, my People!"

There's like the most awesome tail wind, and we take off in a tight pace line. With the help from the tail wind, we're riding 27, 28 mph!

The spout of John's camelbak comes off while he's drinking from it, and water splurts everywhere. We stop--Glasgow keeps going, unaware of our stop. We find the tip and pick it up again...

Dave stopped at Red Rock, and we actually passed him. We stop to let Dave re-group with us.
I gotta tell ya, we are flat out flyin' --damn!


The Peak from Dairy Queen.


So you know that the ride back is going to be torture. But we set up in an aileron, or wing position, and we actually ride about 19 mph thru the crosswind. John and I are trying to keep up with Glasgow but he's too strong. After about 10 miles, John drops off, and after about another 3 or 4, I'm just too tired and I drop back.

We re-group at the Marana Circle K , a job well done. John and Dave head South back into Tucson, and I head East up Tangerine. That will be a 6 mile climb home for me and its always tough.

Later that evening, Bev talks me out of meeting the Lads for the first El Tour training ride--at 6 a.m. Sunday morning. Instead she talks me into a steak dinner at "A Taste of Texas."

I have a thick steak, baked potato, and a 24 once glass of Dos XX lager. I might also mention I can barely walk at this point. But the Randonneur is not undaunted! And so what if a little beer sloshes on his shirt?

"The Force will be with you--Always..."
Regional Brevet Administrator, Susan Plonksy,
at the start of the 600 K, Casa Grande, AZ, April, 2005.

owt

No comments: