Thursday, April 29, 2010

Recovering from Food Poisoning

This week has been long and I'm finally feeling better after last weekend. Ricky and I ate out at Pizza Hut, of all places, and shortly thereafter, I started to phase out--Rico didn't have any of the original crust supreme--just pepperoni. Saturday I was very ill, and was only able to get up and out of bed such that Ricky could drive me to the Urgent Care.

Instead of getting an IV to get me some fluids, the doc gave me an anti-nausea pill, and soon I was coming back to to life--dang, where had I been for what seemed like days?

Recovery was slow, and then the weather here in Tucson turned windy and the air dusty. Wednesday I made it the the pool and swam laps for my lunch hour--that has been the only nice day this week. The sun was hot, the sky was beautiful blue.

Some young women appeared to swim laps as well. They were all very svelte, glowing bronzed tan, and wore tiny bikinis. The three of them were all quite strikingly beautiful--but as I was hauling my fat self out of the pool, they seemed to try real hard to make me feel invisible. I wasn't staring or being rude or anything--it was just an uneasy feeling. They were super model stock and I would say that most humans don't have this kind of god-like beauty.

I went to ride my old campus bike back to the San feeling like some kind of big hairy ape.

So I've got off what I was wanting to write about, its just that when I see and meet young men and women these days (even while riding my bike and meeting other cyclists) they seem so smug and ill-mannered. I used to think that bad manners, or lack of manners, meant a person was not raised right--had a bad up-bringing. Now I believe its a matter of self confidence.

The Mighty Trek is now in the good hands of Pima Street Bikes. I'll have a new drive train by next week, and Phil and Judy will address the other issues the bike presented when I dropped it by the shop today.

Driving the car has been painful for me, Gentle Readers of This Blog. So much congestion, everyone is texting, or on the cell. I had to crawl behind a woman in a beat-to-crap mommy van, that was talking on her cell phone, while smoking a cigarette--and she had on those tubes on her face which lead to an oxygen tank. I saw a chance to get around her, and I did, rather quickly and swiftly, and sped up the left-hand lane that she had been blocking all of us for miles--the fat piece of shit gave me a fat finger as I zipped away.

I seemed to have evolved from a big hairy ape riding a beater bike, to a impatient up-tight motorist rippin' down the road to be first at the next red light...

More biking and photos this weekend--I promise mes amis!

Cheers! Bruce

4 comments:

Big Oak said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Some quality bike time will make in all better.

starstuff said...

I always find it fascinating that the trucks that deliver the oxygen cylinders to these folks say no smoking within 50 feet.

Glad to hear the bike is on it's way back. I pick mine up tonight, a lot more scratched and chipped but at least it's got new derailleur.

Gail Stephens said...

Good Morning Bruce,

My name is Gail Stephens, and I work for a non-profit organization call S.T.O.P. – Safe Tables Our Priority. I was reading your post and felt compelled to get in touch. I certainly hope you are feeling better now. It sounds like some pretty bad pizza!

S.T.O.P. is a national nonprofit public health organization dedicated to the prevention of illness and death from foodborne pathogens, like salmonella and E. coli. We have achieved many successes by advocating changes in public policy, providing victim assistance, educating consumers about the risks of foodborne illness and much more.

I'm not sure whether or not you know this, but there is an FDA reform, food safety Bill (S. 510: The Food Safety Modernization Act) currently in committee. S.T.O.P. has been working towards its passage, in coalition with other consumer organizations, for the past year. We would love your assistance with this effort.

Please respond to this message or call our office at (847)831-3032, so that I can tell you more about how you can help. You may also email me at admin@safetables.org. If you are not interested in the Bill, that is completely fine as well, but we would love to hear from you regardless!

Best Wishes and Safe Eating,

Gail

Gail Stephens said...

PS My dad's name is Bruce, and he is also an avid biker! I will be sure to tell him about your blog...I'm sure he'll love it :)