Sunday, October 26, 2008

70 Tough Miles


I went out to the base of Mt. Lemmon on the new 200 km Brevet course. I knew it was going to be cold in the morning, and I didn't want to carry much in the way of lights and clothing. Espresso Drini, our local cafe, was open--so I popped in for an Americano and waited for the Sun to come up over the mountains. Yeah, it was cold, but I warmed up as I really hammered the first 25 miles to Sabino Canyon.

I made a stop at Le Buzz, which seems to be the hang-out for Mt. Lemmon riders. Things just didn't feel right, mes amis--everybody seemed to have all the right bikes and all the right clothes--all very expensive. Everybody was beautiful and fit-looking. I was scruffy, unshaven, and caked with sweat. It was like I was the Dumb Okie who showed up to the wedding in jeans.

I couldn't tell if people had just finished climbing, were going to start climbing--or just showed up to chat and sip espresso. Instead I opted for the McD's and spent $1.40 on large Coke.

Heading back, it was hot--I'll borrow the expression from my friend Dan Trued; I was in the Death Zone--that's when it starts to get in the 90's and 100's. I also had head wind out of the West. Even though it was still early, like 10 a.m. I realized that I was dehydrated, pushing way to hard--and needing to stop and find water. I had only been off the bike once at McD's.

I found water at the top of La Canada and Naranja--where the Oro Valley City Hall's located. There was a drinking fountain and I filled up. But by then it was a little too late. I had worn myself down and started to limp home. In the whole 70 miles, I hadn't made a stop to use the bathroom, and that was the tell-tale sign of not drinking enough. I should have been smarter.


Callie was glad I was back. She was ready to play. I threw the ball for her in the backyard for a few minutes, and then I took a shower. I slept like a log for two hours.

Cheers!

No comments: