Sunday, March 12, 2006

DNF

The 400 didn't go so well--it was a let down. It was so cold and the wind was so strong. My legs were like noodles--I had no energy. It's like the wind just came in and robbed me of my spirit. I felt cold and empty. Everytime we seem to take on this kind physical and mental endevor, the forces of nature hammers us down.

When it was all said and done--I must say that we needed this rain. Rainfall and then sunshine make the desert around these parts quite spectacular. Driving home from Casa Grande, after dropping off Steve to met Kim for a ride home, I took the brevet route back to Tucson for awhile--a fender-bender on the Fwy had traffic backed up for 14 miles from Picacho Peak to just past Eloy--anyway, I was driving through the farm land fresh after the rain. The roads were deserted--I saw coyotes darting around. Birds were everywhere, all kinds. It was like everything came to life. The sky was that awesome deep blue, and the mountains were dark with rain. Big clouds hung on Mt Lemmon--there's snow on the Catalinas now.

I cut over West on the I-10 Frontage Rd, then went just under the Fwy and just a few miles ahead of where traffic was all backed up. Right there as you come out of the going under the Fwy, Picacho Peak is right there. A cloud was just hanging on top of it, and the cloud looked just like a white river flowing around and around the peak in a slow circle.

So even though I didn't complete the 257 miles that make up 400 Kilometers, I was happy I got to see the Peak in this special way.

Allure Libre

1 comment:

Stefan Walz said...

Dawg, you brave for even starting that race. I would have stayed in bed and pussed out. Live to fight another day.

Big Ballz