Monday, October 16, 2006

200 Km Brevet (Almost DNF)


Another successful Brevet thanks to Plonsky Power.


Dave "Shock" Peashock at the Casa Grande controle.


I make it to the first contole, all 240 pounds of me!


Gerry is going over the cue sheet before the start of the 200, as the course had changed a little. What didn't change was the headwinds we all faced out on Indian 15, the Hwy out on the Rez.


This was a tough ride. It was gusty headwinds all day. I got lucky, Gentle Readers, and just finished the 126 miles or so in one piece. I almost had to abondon the ride--it was so tough with the winds, that I was cramping and I'd also run out of water. 10 miles from the 86 mile controle, I was in trouble. My legs were cramping so bad that I had to get off my bike. As I was collecting my thoughts, Tom and Mick came over the hill and I quickly got back up and then asked if I could hold on to a wheel--I was in trouble and needed help. They were more than happy to help out and I hugged a wheel until the controle with water and food. Mick gave me one of his water bottles and I drank that down and that's what saved me because I was finished. I just eeked in.

After some lunch and filling my water bottles--and stuffing a few turkey wraps in my jersey, we rode back with a tail wind. However, as you might have guessed, the wind shifted again and about 15 miles out, the brutal headwinds punished us again. We pedaled in ever so slowly, and made the finish right before dark.

1 comment:

Stefan Walz said...

The best pain ever...a headwind and cramps. Gotta luv it.

Did I tell you they installed bike lockers outside the Library? Right next to the bike racks, there are 3 boxes that will house 6 bikes. I'm on the list to get one as soon as they release the keys. Sweet!