Sunday, February 12, 2006

300 Tales

I will tell you the sad story of my week. But I forced the happy ending I wanted as I could not sit at home while the wind howled through the desert landscape. My fellow Randonneurs where out there and I decided that I would get on the bike, ride from home, and meet Steve on the course to show my support.

Wednesday night my dog Callie woke me up about 2am because she needed to go outside. That was the start of things. Callie was sick all day on my birthday, and most of Friday. I would not be able to leave her alone in the house because she would have to go outside every half hour to suffer the runs.

After $200 at the vet and pills and injections, Callie was slowly getting back to her normal self. I had to forego the brevet, Gentle Readers, to take care of the dog. Bev had Nat'l Guard all weekend, and my neighbors who help me out in times like this, were out of town and I was taking care of their place.

Late Saturday afternoon when Callie finally took her first solid shit in three days--I could wait no more and jumped on the bike and took off. I kind of knew where I might meet Steve on the course--and I had called Susan our RBA for intellegence reports. My ride had been ready since Thursday so I got in the saddle and took off--my plan to draft Steve up the I-10 frontage road.

Mes Amis the wind was brutal and must have known my intentions. The wind was strong and relentless. I just tried to keep a steady pace and try to have fresh legs to draft Steve. I would ride out about 15 miles to meet him, then help him ride at least to the Picacho Peak Dairy Queen--further if I could get a ride back. My plan was to also ride with Steve in the darkness for the last long-haul to Casa Grande, bum a ride part way home if I had to.

My new Lumotec Lamp...

As I neared the Marana exit off I-10, I saw three lone riders on the course before I saw Steve. He and a group of other riders just pulled out of the mini-mart controle. I turned around and then sped up to meet them. I'm guessing Steve saw me and the pace line slowed for me to catch them.

What can I say? I rode and took my turn with the pace line. I was feeling strong and had to slow a few times because I think I was going a little too fast. The guys had already over 100 miles on their legs. In the pace line, John Heller and Eric Ewing caught up to where I was sitting and they couldn't believe it was me. I quickly negotiated a lift back to Tucson should I ride all the way to Casa Grande. I also had to promise that after the ride I would go out to the resturant for beer and grub.


The hub on my LeMond

So I rode with Steve and three other fellows up the frontage Rd. In my zeal to hit the road, I didn't quite bring enough warm clothes so as we neared the final controle at La Palma, I had to hang back out of the wind to stay warm--and wouldn't you know it--I flatted about a mile from the I-10 overpass. Everybody was cheerful and waited while I struggled with the tire.

I believe I rode about 75 or 80 miles. I just had to get out and ride. If I would have done the 300 I would have had to come home to a mess with the dog and Bev in my face, and I would be having to push a rug shampooer after riding 190 miles. So everything worked out just fine.

At the resturant, John and Eric paid for my dinner and beer. They had a change of clothes and there I was in my riding tights. I got some looks from the folks in the place but I didn't seem to care after a while. It was a good thing I did the ride because shortly after we had dinner the guys were falling asleep and were unable to drive or even stand. I ended up driving up back to Tucson while everyone else slept.

The best thing about this little trek is that my Schmitd Dynamo worked flawlessly. It was given to me by Gerry Goode, and although he complained about drag, I could feel none. The Lumotec light given to me by Steve worked well and I have one less thing to worry about. The light just looks like a motorcycle light and I can see the road and ride faster.

Yes the 300 seems to be my curse. The last one it rained and this one left me unable to even start. I'll have to do a make-up 300 someplace. But the 400 is around the corner, and then the 600--which I will be ready for come Hell or Highwater!

Allure Libre!

1 comment:

Stefan Walz said...

An excellent story. I enjoy sportsmanship like that...now you can take it easy and SAG for Moon-e at the 24 hour race, it should be less demanding than wearing tights in a restaurant.