Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wing and a Prayer

Eagle Wing
My Tucson friend, Eric Ewing, is doing RAGBRI again this year - only this time he's riding from Tucson to the start, somewhere in Iowa where he'll then ride RAGBRI.  Whoa, that is a feat in itself - but I do think guys like "Wing" who are teachers with the summer off, do these kinds of things.  

So Eric, whom I coined "Eagle Wing" once on a hot Tucson Sunday Morning ride (the nick-name stuck) and a friend of his, will be riding across Kansas.  I've invited them to stay in Lawrence for a few nights or as long as they want.  

Wing suggested I come out and join them for part of the ride - and I believe I will, Gentle Readers of This Blog.  Where I join them will depend on how far Little Egypt is willing to drive me out - I'm looking at about a three to four day trek with 'em.

Wing and Me, after the Cupcake Sprint
 Wing is a Clydesdale like me - he's a big guy, and very powerful rider, so don't be fooled - I will be trying hard to keep up!


Wing riding the Tailwind out to Kitt Peak

My main goal is to boost moral if I can, help pay for a night or two at a motel, as I think every four nights or so they stop to shower, etc.  Eric is pulling some kind of trailer and I know it's heavy.  I'll offer to take a few turns pulling it - and drafting too.  I think once they get into Kansas, where they won't have much if any climbing, I can help them put in some more miles and gain some time.

There won't be a headwind - mostly a cross-wind from the South - but the main thing will be the heat.  It is very very hot, mes amis, so not sure how far we can actually get before its just to hot.

Wing and John, Casa Grande 200KM Brevet
With a third person, and Little Egypt possibly taking some gear to Lawrence that's not needed, maybe we can ride a few Brevet distance days.  Really up to them.  I will be traveling very light myself - I may only have old wool blanket to hug terra firma.

Eric commutes to work - our paths crossed a few time commuting
 Wing has a blog that he's able to post to from the road : http://simplespokes.com/ I'll also put it in my sidebar so you can see where he's at - and with some luck, in about a week or so, seeing me riding along with the men!

Eagle Wing
Thanks for coming by the Blog!  Cheers!  Bruce

No comments: