Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday's Child is Fair of Face

Kansas farmland on a bright sunny afternoon.

This past weekend was cold and dreary--it was if a chilly grey blanket stretched out over everywhere freezing us out after a long week in Interzone. I had Monday off, so when the clouds checked-out and the Sun shone clear and blue--I am on the bike!

Bon jour la bon jour, mes amis!

Late Monday afternoon and there's no headwind going out to Lone Star Lake--that means I am riding fast and furious--helped along with tunes from Rico's iPod. Normally I will not ride with an iPod, but with the messenger mirror set up now on my sunglasses, I can see cars coming up behind me on the long stretches of rural country road.

Many barns are white this year.

The Old Man.

Green dust in the muddy fields--crops are beginning to sprout!

Fast rollers on the road around Lone Star Lake.

Lone Star Lake, about twenty miles West of Lawrence, Kansas.

There was not a soul out at Lone Star Lake, Gentle Readers of This Blog--I zipped along the rolling road that hugged the banks, through towering thick newly green oak and walnut trees. Birds of all kinds darted past as I cut the silent cool air. The matter was actually a young hawk buzzing the canopy and creating a stir.


A memento of my ride.

The road around the lake ended--I was told that it would--it would have been nice if it went all the way around but I wanted to see for myself this once. Where pavement and gravel met, I found there one of the young hawk's feathers, and then there was a shadow speeding through the shadows of the oak limbs like a ghost. I looked up and he was flying above me. He gave me a glance and then banked back over the lake.

Time to go back I knew, but time to reflect on things... Leaving Tucson has been at times frustrating. Living here is an adjustment for us all; we're all together but this is just temporary--but for how long? School, jobs, a mortgage, and also rent to pay in Kansas. Often I feel like I'm having to start over and I will have to move again for employment. There are just no jobs in Arizona--and few now in Kansas. Like the road around the lake, it's a dead end--you're momentum is suddenly gone--the road has run out.

However, a reminder that you can soar above and beyond what's troubling, gives Hope that you can ride out what seems the tough Brevet that must be endured...

Allure Libre!

Bruce


No comments: