Friday, November 20, 2009

Go Like Greg


Two American Cycling Legends.

Last night I went to the El Tour de Tucson Dedication Dinner. I had been given the two comp tickets from the Desert San by the CEO. Before the dinner, I went and picked up all my race stuff, and then Little Egypt met me and we sat down at our guest table.

First of all, I noticed right away Jean Gorman--Jean Gorman is Brad's Mom. I had to right away pay my respects and meet her and wish her all the best, and thank her for her tireless work on behalf of all cyclists in this one-horse town. I also met Brad's Father, who was quiet and composed, and good natured. They both wished me Good Luck this Saturday as I ride the 109.

Brad Gorman was a local rider killed by an "inattentive" driver--the 17 year old uninsured driver claimed he was reaching for a CD--or whatever--and he struck Brad on the Catalina Hwy. The driver received a ticket for $66.00 in the mail for unsafe passing.

Jean Gorman stood up for all the cyclists in this city and got things changed so we could all ride safe on the streets of Tucson--and that we could ride safe up to Mt. Lemmon--on the Brad Gorman Memorial Hwy.

Towards the end of the dinner, where sponsors are thanked for their support etc etc, a special award was given out by none other than Greg LeMond himself. This was quite a surprise for me and I was beside myself. "Who's Greg LeMond?" said Little Egypt.

You know where I'm going with this right? So after the dinner and everyone's leaving--there's three-time Tour de France winner Greg LeMond standing there hanging out in the background sipping his beer.

Bruce: Hey Greg, I'm Bruce. Nice to meet you!
Greg: Hey Bruce. Good to meet you too--you riding on Saturday? (He saw my ride packet)
Bruce: Yes I am--
Greg: Good Luck, Man! Have a Good Ride!
Bruce: Thanks!

Whoa. Was that cool or what?

Little Egypt was dressed up and I was in my suit and tie as the dinner was VIP. I think she enjoyed wearing the fancy threads. For a long time, in photographs emailed from Afghanistan, there she'd be with that M-16 slung over her shoulder, wearing a flight helmet, and bullet-proof vest.

Cheers! Bruce

1 comment:

starstuff said...

Did you tell her he was like the Steve Jobs of Cyclists? Hmmm, that's too nerdy. Maybe he's like the Charles Lindbergh of American Cyclists? Maybe Michael Jordon with just a smidge of Radar O'Reilly? Just tell her he put the yanks on the world's cycling map. That is way cool you got to meet him. I've always heard he was a really down to earth nice guy. Of course you could just tell her that he is the guy wyour former bike was named after :) .