Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Glenn Ave

I had a nice commute into the office this morning. Just the 10 mile commute down Glenn Ave. It sure is nice to be on the bike, and I'll be figuring out the logistics as I go. I'm still fumbling with which entrance is faster, with less traffic, etc.

This morning, I met another cyclist in the tiny locker room--turns out the guy is Dr. Steve W. and what a cool guy. Usually I won't run into him, he says, because this morning he was running a little late. He was pleasantly surprised that the new librarian is a cyclist--this helps me out with job security because, as I found out later, Steve, as he would rather I call him, is buds with the Head Honcho here at TMC. And my boss tells me that Steve is one of the top docs and a pretty important guy--but what ever he is, he was a nice fellow.

Yesterday I drove over to Pima Street Bikes, and I was surprised how close it was. I bought a tube for Bev's bike, but discovered it was the wrong size. Today at lunch, I went back to the bike locker, got the bike, and zipped over to the shop in 2 minutes. I couldn't believe how close I was. It took me longer to drive there yesterday--I had to wait forever to make a left across Grant Ave. Anyway, I exchaged the tube for the right one, and was on my way.

The thing was that from the corner of Pima and Beverly, I could see all the down the road and just see the top of the TMC water tower. The library is right underneath this 1927 hunk of steel--that I hope never falls while I'm in the office. Anyway--I don't believe I would have noticed this vista had I been in the climate-controled auto.

Its good for me to see new things, and ride down roads I've never seen. Everywhere is a discovery. The neighborhood isn't really that great, but some on the little bungalos have quite a bit of charm. Character and charm--luckily you can still find it here and there.

Tonight I plan to make the right turn on Glenn and Mountain--so as to not ride down into the ruins.

Owt

No comments: